English Heritage: Hurst Castle
Hurst Castle stands at the end of a long shingle spit that connects it to the Hampshire coast. On either side of the fort Tudor are the massive wing batteries built in the 1860s to house the huge new guns then coming into service. There are also two decommisioned lighthouses, The Low Light of the 1860s and the metal light of 1911. The High Light of 1867, sited beyond the end of the east wing, still functions.
There is no parking at the site but there is parking at Milford seafront or Keyhaven where a charge is payable. The castle is best approached by ferry from Keyhaven. Daily service from 25 Mar to the end of Oct. Every 20 minutes from Keyhaven, first ferry departs Keyhaven at 10am and the last boat from Hurst Castle is at 5.30pm.