English Heritage: Pendennis Castle
Henry VIII built this castle to protect the south coast from invasion from France. It faces St Mawes Castle across the River Fal, due to its location Pendennis has played a key role in Britain's defences, it has been adapted over 400 years and was the command centre of coast artillery defences for West Cornwall during the First and Second World Wars. Pendennis Castle continued to be used for military training up until 1956.
Car parking at Castle Drive, follow the sings to Pendennis Castle. Disabled parking available in the castle grounds. Falmouth Docks train station is a half mile from the site, the Falmouth Town Shuttle bus stops outside the castle as does route 366.