English Heritage: Ludgershall Castle And Cross
- Telephone 0370 333 1181
- Website www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…
The ruins and earthworks of a royal castle which was most likely built in the late 11th century by a sheriff of Wiltshire and improved in the 13th century by King John and his son Henry III. The castle was frequently used as a hunting lodge and when Henry inherited it from his father, new building works were undertaken to include a new great hall for dining and entertaining and royal apartments. As well as the ruins of the castle, the remains of a 14th century cross can be found in the centre of the nearby village.
Ludgershall Castle is located on the north side of Ludgershall, off A342. There is very limited free parking (approximately four spaces) but there is also on road parking in Ludgershall town. The castle is free to visit and open any reasonable time during daylight hours.