The Cooper Gallery
- Telephone 01226 242905
- Website www.cooper-gallery.com
The Cooper Gallery started life as Barnsley Grammar School in 1769. After the school relocated the building was bought by Samuel Joshua Cooper who left the gallery to the people of Barnsley in 1914 along with over 200 paintings from his own collection. Re-purposed as a hospital and rehabilitation clinic during WWII the Cooper Gallery finally reopened to the public in 1977 as a local arts centre for theatre, music and exhibitions.
The Cooper Gallery is easy walking distance from Barnsley National Rail station.