Pitt Rivers Museum
The Pitt Rivers Museum was founded in 1884 after General Pitt Rivers donated his collection to the University of Oxford. Back then, there were 26 000 object, but now the collection stands at more than half a million artefacts. On permanent display are a series of ethnographic and archaeological items, spread across the museum's three floors.
The museum's entrance is through the Oxford University Museum of Natural History of Parks Road. There are no car parks associated with the museum, but there are five nearby: on the A40 at Headington, Redbridge; on Abingdon Road near Kennington; on Pear Tree roundabout, Woodstock Road; Water Eaton on Banbury Road and Seacourt at Botley). There is also a coach park on Oxpens Road.
Events at this venue
There are 4 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
- 127 min
- Directed by: Steven Spielberg
- Cast: Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Joseph Mazzello, Ariana Richards, Bob Peck, Martin Ferrero, Wayne Knight
A group of scientists are invited to give their approval to a theme park filled with genetically engineered dinosaurs, but the giant reptiles are soon running amok. Top-notch computer effects ensure that the dinosaurs themselves are terrifyingly believable (more so than the PG certificate would suggest), but by the…
Wed 23 Aug
- 119 min
- Directed by: John Huston
- Cast: Jose Ferrer, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Colette Marchand
The story of artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec living in late 19th century bohemian Paris.
Fri 25 Aug
- 108 min
- Directed by: Baz Luhrmann
- Written by: Baz Luhrmann, Craig Pearce
- Cast: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh, John Leguizamo, Jacek Koman, Caroline O'Connor
Luhrmann's celebration of Montmartre is a delirious jukebox musical, mashing up Labelle with Nirvana and generally playing out like La traviata on steroids. Gloriously extravagant if you're in the mood, possibly overheated if you're not, it's a suitably over-the-top climax to its director's Red Curtain trilogy.
Fri 25 Aug
£15.35 some concessions / 01865 270927
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- 133 min
- Directed by: Gareth Edwards
- Cast: Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Jiang Wen, Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Jonathan Aris
- UK release: 16 December 2016
Troublemaker Jyn Erso (Jones) and Rebel intelligence officer Cassian Andor (Luna) lead a rag crew across the galaxy to make contact with Death Star chief engineer Galen (Mikkelsen), Jyn's dad. This is Star Wars from the trenches, with sensational battle scenes and great performances from Jones and Luna.