- Telephone 0131 555 4738
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–12am; Thu–Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–12am
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Food served Sun–Wed noon–midnight; Thu–Sat noon–1am.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website leithdepot.com
The modernisation of Leith Walk's bar scene continues with a friendly local venue strong on seafood and vegetarian options.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The changing face of Leith’s pub landscape continues with the rough and ready former Meridian beautifully updated as the bright and breezy Leith Depot. The interior is pleasant and welcoming, with high windows, sanded wooden floors, bright-painted walls, steel support beams and reclaimed wooden chairs, while the blackboard-chalked list of craft beers is worth continued exploration. There’s a real community focus, with the upstairs performance area playing host to gigs by local talent, open mic nights on monthly Thursdays and community group meetings, while the food is overtly intended to emphasise healthy if hearty choices. The menu focuses on seafood and vegan and vegetarian options, which includes good, old-fashioned beer-battered haddock with handmade chips and smoked garlic aioli, Scottish mussels by the quarter, half or full kilo, and a fresh fish special of the day. Elsewhere, dishes like the vegan spelt gnocchi and the inventive leek fritters served with lemon zest cream and a fried egg deserve to entice non-meat eaters from outside the Leith heartland.
- High point: Great community local with strong seafood, vegetarian and vegan options
- Low point: It's stepped into a crowded Leith Walk market
- Notable dish: Spelt gnocchi, smoked tomatoes, artichoke heart, pickled broccoli, pear, kale crisps and caramelised walnuts
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Open mic night on monthly Thu, regular gigs upstairs.
- Capacity: 40 (65 in the venue)
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
There are 2 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
A new night of deep, funky and oldskool house hosted by Foxxy DJ alongside special guest DJs.
- 150 min
- Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
- Written by: Quentin Tarantino
- Cast: John Travolta, Samuel L Jackson, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Amanda Plummer, Maria de Medeiros, Ving Rhames, Eric Stoltz, Rosanna Arquette, Christopher Walken, Bruce Willis
Much more ambitious than Reservoir Dogs, the most awaited second feature of the 90s has many scenes that crackle with Tarantino wit, and a few others that fall flat as the writer-director bravely experiments. Interlocking stories in the pulp crime manner concern hitmen, ailing boxers, gang bosses and their molls, drug…