- Telephone 07908 251200
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–3am
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3–6pm
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £6
- Website www.mangolatino.uk
Colourful bar-restaurant serving South American dishes, with a late licence and a good programme of live entertainment.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Mango is a lively little joint. Its colourful interior is strung with fairy lights and flags of the Americas, and a graphic multi-coloured poster design covers the walls. The menu is a mix of tapas dishes and mains drawn from the cuisines of a variety of South American countries. Buñuelo de Yuca are fried cassava and cheese bites popular in Honduras and Venezuela, battered prawns come with a light avocado cream, and Columbian empanada pastries can be filled with shredded chicken, vegetables or prawns. Mains include fajitas, Brazilian steak and a deeply savoury stew of beef strips with pinto beans accompanied by avocado and cassava. It helps if you’re keen on mango as the ubiquitous fruit turns up in cocktails, cheesecake, salad, with grilled chicken and, somewhat surprisingly, in a sauce for salmon. Set lunch options are somewhat pedestrian, however, and lack the Latin flair of the evening menu. There’s a good range of evening entertainment, from live music and DJ sets to popular salsa and bachata dance classes and, as the bar is open til 3am, no-one’s in a hurry to leave.
- High point: Refreshing mango and avocado salad
- Low point: Mango with salmon?
- Notable dish: Frijolada Colombiana
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: South American and club music
- Live entertainment: DJs, live bands, salsa and bachata dance classes, open mic nights
- Capacity: 100 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2015
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £11 per bottle