St James's Church
A chapel was first built on the corner of Spanish Place and Charles Street (now George Street) in 1791. The church that still stands today was designed by Edward Goldie and opened it's doors in 1890 and was consecrated in 1949 by His Lordship Bishop Craven. The early Gothic design is built entirely of stone and stands at a height of 67 feet with seating capacity for 800. Points of interest include the ornate communion rail; the War Memorial Chapel; the statue of St James, the Golden Lady; the carved marble and alabaster Altar of Our Lady of Victories and the organ built in 1922 by Alfred Hunter and Sons of Clapham.