- Telephone 01752 304774
- Opening times Tue–Sun 10am–4.30pm; closed Mon.
- Admission £2.60 (£1.60, children £1.30; under 3s free)
Smeaton's Tower was a lighthouse originally built on the Eddystone Reef in 1759. It stood there protecting ships from wreck until the 1880s, when it was discovered the sea was eroding the rock it was erected on. Approximately two thirds of the lighthouse was relocated, stone by stone, to Plymouth Hoe, where it has stood to this day.
The lighthouse is 72 feet tall, with 93 steps, steep ladders, low ceilings and small openings, and therefore disabled access is limited due to the age and layout of the building.
Text supplied by third party.