No 11 Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 557 6910
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Wed 5–9.30pm; Thu–Sun 12.30–3.30pm, 5–9.30pm.
- Average price £30 (evening meal)
- Website www.11brunswickst.co.uk
A great surprise Scottish dining experience, enjoying the elegance of a Playfair townhouse near Leith Walk.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Quietly tucked away in a boutique hotel at the London Road end of Brunswick Street, No. 11 has the quiet air of a refined yet modern club. Brunswick is one of several streets of 1820s terraced houses designed by William Playfair, the great Scottish architect. His understated dignity lives on in the calmly well-appointed dining room here, decorated in muted tones and crisp articulation. The short menu reflects similar style and consideration. Goat's cheese, pine nut & sun-blushed tomato mousse is tangy and fresh on its crunchy garlic toast, while duck liver and smoked bacon parfait holds a musty, savoury essence cut through by the sweet roast pepper relish. The Finnan Haddie and roast leek risotto is creamy without being overly rich, while chunks of pan-fried venison steak are rosy and tender in their juniper game jus, balanced by fondant potato. Puddings hold their own, a particularly enjoyable mixed berry trifle with Italian meringue drawing to a close a relaxed and soothing evening.
- High point: Conscientious kitchen supported by lovely setting
- Low point: Not well advertised but worth the hunt
- Notable dish: Finnan Haddie and roast leek risotto
- No. overnight rooms: 10
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 26
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of No 11 Brasserie./5 from RSS feed of these comments