- Telephone 0131 629 5509
- Opening times 11am–1am.
- Seasonal times Open late during the Festival and at Christmas.
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £12.50 (lunch); £12.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.woodlandcreatures.co.uk
One of the new generation of hipster Leith Walk boozers, with a strong entertainment programme, good pub food and fine craft ales courtesy of new owners Krafty Brew.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
It’s a period of transition for Woodland Creatures, one of the earliest hipster bar insurgents to have brought a change of character to Leith Walk. Redeveloped in 2013 as a Berlin-style collision of shabby industrial chic and relaxing local hangout with added quirky animal ornaments, that’s the form it still takes at time of writing. Following a takeover towards the tail end of 2015 by local craft brewery Krafty Brew, however, the imminent plan is for the bar to be rebranded as Krafty’s own brewery bar, with a physical redevelopment in the pipeline too. Yet for now Woodland Creatures remains, and it still comes recommended for its fashionable but laid-back atmosphere, a strong selection of gin, wine and craft beer (Krafty are already well-represented on tap and in the fridge), and a decent selection of traditional pub grub, of which the burgers (Cajun-spiced chicken, vegan sweet potato and beetroot, falafel or a sizeable homemade steak beef burger) are highlights. There’s also a Narnia-esque smokers' snug accessed by a cupboard and a strong and regular selection of live music, comedy, open mic and cabaret in the back room.
- High point: Hipster but unpretentious, with a strong entertainments programme
- Low point: Feels a little like a place that’s itching for a change, at time of writing
- Notable dish: Ground steak beef burger on brioche with chunky wedges, coleslaw and salad.
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Regular comedy, cabaret, open mic and poetry nights, with a cabaret on Wednesdays.
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2013 (taken over in 2015)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £13 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Ol'-time Americana, Appalachain ballads and Scottish classics with a banjo twist from Martha's Parlour, who are fronted by two of Blueflint's musicians.
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Woodland Creatures./5 from RSS feed of these comments