Provand's Lordship is one of only four surviving medieval buildings in Glasgow. Today, it is operated as a free museum. Provand's Lordship was built in 1471 by Andrew Muirhead, the Bishop of Glasgow, as part of St Nicholas' Hospital, which stood to the south of the house. The 'auld hoose' is the oldest house in the city and features 17th-century historic furniture and royal portraits. St Nicholas Garden, located behind the building, is a herb garden with intriguing Tontine Faces stone masks.
The 'front' of the house probably originally faced west, and the site now occupied by the St Mungo Museum formed part of Bishop's Castle, one of the main buildings in medieval Glasgow. Inside Provand's Lordship is three storeys of accommodation with three main rooms each, which are connected together by a spiral staircase.