The Hug and Pint
- Telephone 0141 331 1901
- Opening times Daily: noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £8 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website www.thehugandpint.com
Impressive vegan dishes with added zing and live music create a winning formula for this St George's Cross neighbourhood hangout.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Most people who encounter the tender embrace of the Hug and Pint become an evangelist for its singular charms. An icon of Woodlands’ burgeoning play to be the epicentre of West End food trends, here you’ll find genuinely impressive vegan dishes, often served to the soundtrack of local musicians who play and eat here. Before you look at the craft beer menu and shout 'cliche', they are firmly hip, not hipster here. It's a surprisingly successful formula – it turns out the vegan venue Glasgow never knew it wanted was exactly the kind of place it needed. Take a seat on the wooden benches and start loading up on healthy combinations such as spiced coconut soup and pickled papaya salad or taste the unusual with mushroom rice pudding, crispy shallots and pickled onion. Their kitchen serves five or so dishes a day -– and yes, they are named after the Arab Strap song.
- High point: Friendly staff and cool vibe
- Low point: Menu may be too experimental for some
- Notable dish: Sweet tamarind plantain, rice, mustard greens
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mellow tunes, live bands
- Live entertainment: 100 capacity venue downstairs
- Capacity: 30
- Open since: 2015
There are 4 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
One-man alt.folk act Peter Kelly.
The Burning Hell
Acoustic indie-folk from Mathias Kom.
Indie folk / rock fusion.