La Bodega Tapas Bar
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Box office 0141 581 3401
- General enquiries 0141 581 3401
- Opening times Mon & Tue 5–11pm; Wed noon–11pm; Thu, Fri & Sun noon–midnight; Sat 10.30am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Wed 4–11pm; Thu/Fri noon–midnight; Sat 10.30am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Wed 4–11pm; Thu/Fri noon–midnight; Sat 10.30am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.labodegaglasgow.com
An eccentric, authentic hangout with a unique atmosphere – great food, great value, great fun.
Starting life as a chill-out room for the dance studio next door, La Bodega has been operating as a fully-fledged and licensed restaurant for close to a decade now. There’s still something of a club-house feel to this friendly, scruffy little space, with its random collection of old furniture, bare brick walls and eccentric wiring, but everyone’s welcome whether they’re dancing or not. Find La Bodega among the warehouses and industrial units of South Street and you’ll enjoy homely, good-value food, as well as live music two or three nights a week. The menu is mostly tapas which can be scaled up to bigger ‘portion’ plates to share, or ‘meals’ which come with rice, chips or salad. Alongside well-prepared staples like estofado stew, chicken with chorizo and lightly fried whitebait, La Bodega has a few dishes originating outside Spain, such as a vegetarian spinach and feta pie. Specials on the blackboard might include fabada – a hearty cassoulet-like dish of beans with black pudding. Three fairly generous tapas for a tenner before 5pm make the trek to Whiteinch worthwhile.
'Glasgow's little hidden gem'
- Authentic Spanish tapas: Spanish-owned
- Live music and dance performances every week
- Tango salon every Thursday and salsa club every Friday (free entry)
- Live music every Sunday from 3.30pm followed by open mic & jam session
- Children welcome until 10pm (under 8s at management's discretion after 8pm).
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, Latin etc.
- Live entertainment: open mic Tue; live Latin music Fri/Sat; African jam session or jazz on Sunday
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle
Reviews & features
Valentine's Day - where to take your date3 Feb 2012
Some seductive suggestions for what to do on or around February 14th
Experience a May-December relationship ... or at least, vicariously experience someone else’s. Among the several films the Glasgow Film Theatre are screening to get you into the Valentines spirit on 14 Feb (including Brief Encounter and French…