- Telephone 0131 538 2505
- Opening times Wed–Sun 9am–5pm; closed Mon & Tue.
- Food served Wed–Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch)
- Website www.bonpapillon.com
Surrounded by local art and friendly chatter, this is a lovely place to while away the hours over tea and scones.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Bon Papillon is like visiting the home of an artist who makes really good cakes, and in a sense it is, with owner Ingrid Nilsson’s studio at the back of the café and her partner Stuart Allan baking in house. The walls are covered with the work of local artists and even the toilet boasts a ‘petit gallerie’. The scones and cakes are a real treat – light and full of flavour – and the sandwiches are truly tasty. The Chèvre Chaud – baked goat’s cheese on garlic toast with a well-dressed side salad – is more that you might expect from a small café and the service has the personal touch you’d hope for. Ingrid and Stuart are happy to oblige the demands of their dedicated local following, putting bacon rolls on the menu despite being vegetarians themselves, and regularly reinstating local favourites when regulars call for them after a menu change.
- High point: Top quality baking
- Low point: Such good sandwiches would go well with a wine or beer
- Notable dish: Chevre Chaud - Goat's cheese toasted on garlic bread, with salad
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Folk/easy listening
- Capacity: 16
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2011
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Bon Papillon./5 from RSS feed of these comments