Henderson's @ St John's
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 229 0212
- Seasonal times Festival: Sun–Mon 9am–6pm
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–4.30pm; Sun 11.30am–4pm.
- Average price £11.50 (lunch)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/st-johns.php
Younger brother to its long-established New Town sister venue, Henderson’s nestles serenely under St John’s Church in one of the city’s most dramatic stone-vaulted interiors. Spanning from breakfast eggs and soya milk porridge to afternoon tea and cakes from their Hanover Street bakery, the café proudly delves into its own cookbook to reveal a range of freshly made salads in healthy sized portions. Roast sweet potato and squash perk up white and red quinoa, alongside spinach and pumpkin seed salad and honey doused beetroot and apple. Parsnip and courgette layered lasagne, olive flecked stromboli and flaky spanakopita feature among half a dozen hot mains on a blackboard menu offering plenty of vegan and wheat- or gluten-free options. Exhibited artwork lines the walls and a stretch of sunny-aspect benches lines the garden terrace.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Ambient background tunes
- Live entertainment: Occasionally a couple of musicians play (pianist and guitar player)
- Capacity: 55
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.75 per bottle