- Telephone 0131 556 4140
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–3pm, 5–9pm; Sun 11am–6pm.
- Average price (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.bodabar.com/joseph-pearces/
Casual bar at the top of the Walk with Scandi food and an intimate vibe.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Locals treat JP’s like a second living room – somewhere to bring the kids during the day, to catch up with friends in the evening, to gather with family over brunch, or even to do a spot of exercise (a jogging club of regulars meet every week). It's a perfect example of the re-invention of the old man’s boozer for the top of the Walk’s bright young (and not-so-young) things. Part of Edinburgh’s mini-chain of Swedish bars, the menu bears a Scandi influence – expect smörgåsbords (so much more fun to say than ‘sharing platters’), hasselback potatoes and, of course, meatballs served with lingonberry jam. The cocktail list is interesting, with aquavit making the odd appearance, most notably in the Hot Bjorn Borg which packs a chilli punch. Keep your eyes peeled for regular Swedish events too, like August’s traditional crayfish parties.
- High point: The Hot Bjorn Borg cocktail (aquavit, chilis, lychee & lime)
- Low point: Boring beer selection
- Notable dish: Swedish meatballs
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: An eclectic mix
- Live entertainment: Friday events – soul, funk, RnB, hip-hop featuring live DJs
- Capacity: 200 (70 seated); 20 outdoors
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £14 per bottle
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Book Swap Edinburgh
Welcome to Book Swap Edinburgh! We're a group of book lovers who share a passion for reading and a belief that books should not be left on a shelf. We swap books using the internationally renowned book swap site www.bookcrossing.com. By registering your book on this website you obtain a unique code and the book can…
Thu 2 Mar
Thu 6 Apr
Thu 4 May
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Leith, Edinburgh21 Jul 2011
A beginner's guide to the capital's port town
What’s it like? It’s Leith. If you’re an Edinburgh List reader, it’s very likely you live there. Glossy bars, Michelin-starred restaurants and warehouse conversions squaring off against cobbles, pint’n’pie pubs and Hibees. Vibrant, community-focused (it…
Best bars in and around Leith3 Jun 2010
David Pollock suggests the finest locations for a festival beverage, or two
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Joseph Pearce’s./5 from RSS feed of these comments