The Arches Café Bar & Restaurant
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Box office 0141 565 1035
- General enquiries 0141 565 1035
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; closed Sun. Closed Sun (unless performance on)
- Seasonal times Bar open to 1am in December
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight (until 3am on club nights)
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–9pm
- Average price £11 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.thearches.co.uk
There’s a modern nightclub feel to the bar-restaurant in the Arches, a one-stop spot for gigs, theatre and club nights housed beneath Central Station. There’s plenty of choice here with separate bar, restaurant and market menus available. Pulled pork chilli nachos from the bar menu make a generous starter or light main, though more chilli would have been welcome for a more potent kick. Caesar salad is fresh and crisp, with a good dressing. Mains include burgers, daily specials, Arches classics such as fish and chips and a mixed bean cassoulet, plus there’s a small pizza menu on offer – the black pudding, bacon and chorizo pizza is not light on topping, perhaps a bit overwhelmed by the black pudding, but an enjoyable pizza, and good value, too. Desserts can lack the attention given to the rest of the menu with sticky toffee pudding and chocolate brownie proving a little lacklustre. To wash it all down there’s a decent cocktail menu as well as a great selection of draught and bottled beers on offer.
- High point: Hand cut chips
- Low point: Dessert
- Notable dish: Hand-cut chips
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Open Ear mix CD
- Live entertainment: Performance art, theatre, spoken word, gigs
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Valentine's Day - where to take your date3 Feb 2012
Some seductive suggestions for what to do on or around February 14th
Experience a May-December relationship ... or at least, vicariously experience someone else’s. Among the several films the Glasgow Film Theatre are screening to get you into the Valentines spirit on 14 Feb (including Brief Encounter and French…
Area guide to the Glasgow Film Festival17 Feb 2011
Kirstin Innes helps you bring the movies to life with our GFF-themed area guide
If you're interested in the Beyond Bollywood, Superheroes in Glasgow, Ceol's Craic or Fashion in Film strands, this is the Glasgow guide for you.
The Arches1 Oct 2008
From underground electro to avant garde theatre, the Arches offers a creative haven for every taste. David Pollock explains the appeal of this cavernous venue.