Leiper's Attic at Cottier's
- Telephone 0141 357 5825
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Seasonal times Extended hours during Christmas and West End Festival
- Bar open Mon–Sun 11am–midnight
- Food served Fri–Sat 11am–10pm; Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon–Thu.
- Website www.cottiers.com
Scottish meat, game and fish are the central focus at this cute converted church attic, which is located upstairs from a lively bar.
As a theatre, pub, beer garden and wedding venue, this restored Victorian Gothic pile is a much-loved fixture of West End life. Amid all the activity the upstairs restaurant – recently renamed Leiper’s Attic in honour of the architect who, along with Daniel Cottier, built the church in 1865 – could easily be overlooked. It deserves attention though, as the food is up there with the best Scottish restaurants in town. The emphasis is on fine local produce, cooked fairly simply. Beef is prime grass-fed meat from Perthshire, dry-aged in-house for 28 days. Game is prominent, too, and a succulent piece of venison haunch comes with a clever haggis, neep and tattie pithivier that would work as a main course in its own right. Care and attention are lavished on accompanying veg like baby beetroot and roast cauliflower, though there’s not much among the mains for non-carnivores. Reached by a spiral staircase, the room retains original architectural features and offers a pleasant view into the garden below.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Dean Martin, Otis Redding and other classics
- Live entertainment: Plays, gigs in theatre
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Hyndland, Glasgow3 Feb 2012
Tips for hot spots in the plushest part of the West End
What’s it like? That nice bit between the ‘proper’ West End and Anniesland, with lots of cute coffee shops, restaurants and lovely flats. Think ornate doorways, stained glass and well-pruned window baskets, going for much more than your average…