The Canons' Gait
- Telephone 0131 556 4481
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30–11pm
- Seasonal times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 11am–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 11am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.gait.bar
An attractive choice of craft beers and tasty, well-presented food makes The Gait is one of Edinburgh's true gastropubs.
Before their refurb back in 2014, The Canons’ Gait, for many, was just a stop-off for a swift half on the way home. Now, with an enticing menu, contemporary décor and live music most evenings, it’s much more than your average Royal Mile tourist trap. With six rotating beer taps, three regulars, two guest keg beers and a range of trendy bottles from the likes of Colonsay and Loch Ness breweries, they’ve got their beer selection down to a tee. To complement such a fine range of ales is a menu of light bites, including sharing platters, as well as some more substantial grub. The truffle oil macaroni cheese and hop-smoked fishcakes with onion purée demonstrate their efforts to make their own mark on otherwise boring pub grub. Even though wines are not their thing, there is still a generous list, made even more affordable with the option of a carafe.
- Private dining: 50 downstairs
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Varied music
- Live entertainment: Folk bands and other live music, Wed–Sat evenings.
- Capacity: 56
- Largest group: 56
- Open since: 1996
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Canons' Gait./5 from RSS feed of these comments Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the information displayed here is accurate, always check with the venue before attending (especially during the Covid-19 pandemic).