A laid-back local with plenty of festivities on offer.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
One of four Leith links in the chain of six Swedish independent bars across Edinburgh, expect their signature chummy welcome; bar staff make conversation if you’re waiting, and seem genuinely concerned that you enjoy a well-rounded social life. The small room (plus back room, available for private parties, for free) hosts a heaving events programme – clothes swaps, pub quizzes, nights devoted to knitting or playing Cards Against Humanity with strangers, plus a monthly Dog Day, where owners and pets do Sunday afternoon meet-and-greets. Drinks wise, they love special edition cocktails (Pimms cups, hot buttered rums, aquavit to sip on Swedish holidays) and stock single malts, rums and gins, plus a small selection of bottled and draught beers. What you won’t find is any food to soak up the booze (don’t blame us for not warning you), just bags of crisps and nuts, and free popcorn on movie nights. As they put it, Sofi’s bar just wants to be, ‘the port in the storm, the little squeeze in a hug, home from home.’
- High point: Welcoming spot for catching up with friends, or finding completely new ones
- Low point: Their snuggly, cutesy vibes may jar with the grumpy or nihilistic drinker
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Varied, chilled and fun.
- Live entertainment: Open mic on a Sunday, ad-hoc film screenings, knitting clubs, clothes swaps and lots more.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Leith, Edinburgh21 Jul 2011
A beginner's guide to the capital's port town
What’s it like? It’s Leith. If you’re an Edinburgh List reader, it’s very likely you live there. Glossy bars, Michelin-starred restaurants and warehouse conversions squaring off against cobbles, pint’n’pie pubs and Hibees. Vibrant, community-focused (it…
Best bars in and around Leith3 Jun 2010
David Pollock suggests the finest locations for a festival beverage, or two
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Sofi's./5 from RSS feed of these comments