Filmhouse Café Bar
- Box office 0131 228 2688
- General enquiries 0131 229 5932
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–11.30pm; Fri 8am–12.30am; Sat 10am–12.30am; Sun 10am–11.30pm
- Seasonal times During Film Festival, bar is open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11.30pm; Fri/Sat 11am–12.30am; Sun 11am–11.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times £7 for all dishes between 3–5pm daily
- Box office times Mon–Sun 10am–9pm
- Average price Kids menu - £5.95 for drink, meal and dessert (set lunch); £13.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.filmhousecinema.com
Fabulous, fresh, fast food in a venue offering great movie choices
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Behind the Filmhouse’s plush red foyer, the Café Bar may feel a little like a students’ union at first, but that’s where the similarity ends. The food is appetising (no offence to the unions) and the bar impressively stocked - the beer selection is notable enough even for CAMRA. Café-standard baked potatoes stand alongside more unusual choices like stilton, nut and spinach nuggets, falafels, and a fruity and flavoursome chickpea and coconut curry. A wide variety of daily specials, including the likes of lobster ravioli, emulate the diversity of the Filmhouse’s screenings, and the breakfast menu is just as broad. Reasonable prices and an imaginative vegetarian range attract a loyal and varied customer base, including crowds from the Usher Hall, to wax lyrical about cinema and culture over a glass or two.
- High point: Vegetarian dishes good enough to tempt a true carnivore
- Low point: The décor could benefit from a little attention
- Private dining: 80 in Guild Rooms
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Live entertainment: Sometimes, connected to film screenings/festivals. Monthly film quiz.
- Capacity: 150 (8 outside)
- Largest group: Not generally available; only for specially booked events.
- Open since: 1987 approx.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Filmhouse Café Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments