Filmhouse Café Bar
- Box office 0131 228 2688
- General enquiries 0131 229 5932
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–11.30pm; Fri 8am–12.30am; Sat 10am–12.30am; Sun 10am–11.30pm
- Seasonal times During Film Festival, bar is open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11.30pm; Fri/Sat 11am–12.30am; Sun 11am–11.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times £7 for all dishes between 3–5pm daily
- Box office times Mon–Sun 10am–9pm
- Average price Kids menu - £5.95 for drink, meal and dessert (set lunch); £13.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.filmhousecinema.com
Fabulous, fresh, fast food in a venue offering great movie choices
The Filmhouse Café and Bar does what it does so beautifully, and unassumingly, it’s easy to overlook what an impressive operation it is. Here’s a café that serves a wide selection of flavour-packed meals, catering for all dietary requirements, to up to 150 people, with the speed and efficiency required when people are about to head into a flick. Weekly specials keep an otherwise tried-and-trusted menu fresh for frequent visitors, but it’s hard to resist the temptation to re-order favourites – seriously great hummus, buttery garlic bread, wholesome veggie curry and enormous baked potatoes. Traybakes offer tasty pud options – the brownie is so squidgy you’ll be fighting the urge to lick the plate clean. All that and the bar selection isn’t shabby either – a wide choice of inexpensive, tasty plonk and a strong array of local and exported beers on draught, all able to be decanted to a plastic cup for your movie. True cineastes are advised to try their fiendishly hard monthly film quiz as well – such stuff as celluloid nightmares are made of.
- High point: Their full Scottish breakfast is one of Edinburgh's finest
- Low point: Gets awfully busy just before screening
- Notable dish: Seriously, the hummus is terrific
- Private dining: 80 in Guild Rooms
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Live entertainment: Sometimes, connected to film screenings/festivals. Monthly film quiz.
- Capacity: 150 (8 outside)
- Largest group: Not generally available; only for specially booked events.
- Open since: 1987 approx.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Filmhouse Café Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments