- Box office 0131 558 7272
- General enquiries 0131 558 7272
- Seasonal times Festival variations
- Bar open Sun–Thu 7.30pm–1am; Fri/Sat 7pm–1am.
- Food served Thu 7.30–8.30pm; Fri/Sat 7–8.30pm; Sun 12.30–1.30pm.. Closed No food Mon–Wed or Sun eve.
- Average price £11 (evening meal)
- Website www.thestand.co.uk
Cheerful cavern with all the ingredients required for eating, drinking and being merry.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Stand is every inch the classic comedy club, and one that comics love to play. Its basement location is dark and a little dingy, but the music and the crowd are upbeat and there’s plenty on offer to line the stomach before indulging in a little merriment. The menu is mostly a tribute to the Mexican art of folding and toasting tortillas in various ways, with nachos, burritos and the cheesiest Philly cheese steak tacos known to man, all served with a fresh salad to reduce the subsequent risk of heart attack, plus some particularly good chunky chips to bring it back up again. Potato lovers will appreciate the rooster skins, generously filled with the likes of meat or veg chilli, or barbeque pulled pork. There’s also a fine bar selection to help the laughter along, including a house brew by Belhaven and a decent assortment of wines and spirits.
- High point: A great night out
- Low point: If you don’t queue early , you’ll probably end up standing
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses)
- Live entertainment: Comedy 7 nights a week
- Capacity: 100 seated (plus 60 standing)
- Largest group: Group booking at box office discretion, not keen on stag and hen parties etc.
- Open since: 1995
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
There are 7 events at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
Adam Hess and Rhys James
Surreal one-liners from Hess alongside poems and stand-up from James as they both perform an hour of their latest material.
Solo comedy from the 2014 Chortle Award winner and star of BBC America's Almost Royal.
The Friday Show
Friday night sparkles with the promise of comedy in a basement, courtesy of those good folk at The Stand. Hurrah!
The stand-up and actress muses on (mis)communication in a modern age.
The Stand's spankingly good new talent night, encouraging the latest comedy stars out of the woodwork. Then maybe putting them back in afterwards.
The Saturday Show
Saturday nights à la Stand are normally a sold out affair so it's worth booking in advance and getting in early for the edibles. (Food. Not punters.)
The Thursday Show
Comedy will be firing at you with all cylinders this weekend, so why not give into it all and allow the Stand to take you under its wing with hilarious acts left, right and centre?
Reviews & features
Tommy Sheppard, local councillor turned comedy impresario, is elected MP8 May 2015
The Stand's head honcho wins Edinburgh East for the Scottish National Party
The landslide performance of the SNP in the general election means that Westminster will soon see some new faces, including 20-year-old politics student Mhairi Black, who beat Labour's Douglas Alexander to become the youngest member of parliament since…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Stand./5 from RSS feed of these comments