Isle of Wight Festival headliners announced
- Bang Showbiz
- 4 December 2017
The Isle of Wight Festival's 50th anniversary line-up has been unveiled with The Killers, Kasabian, Liam Gallagher and Depeche Mode named as headliners for the special weekend
Isle of Wight Festival will be headlined by Liam Gallagher, The Killers, Depeche Mode and Kasabian for its 50th anniversary.
The prestigious Newport event returns in June 2018 to celebrate half a century as one of the UK's biggest music extravaganzas, and organisers have announced a stacked lineup befitting of the occasion.
The four acts have been named as headliners, with Kasabian rounding off the Friday night on June 22, while Depeche Mode and Liam Gallagher will have joint billing the following evening, with The Killers concluding the festival on June 24.
Kasabian last headlined the event in 2011, having first played it four years previously, and they admitted the history of the site means a great deal to them.
They said: "We're hugely honoured to play at the Isle of Wight Festival. It's kind of a big deal Jimi Hendrix played in the 70's, 50 years on and we're playing it!
"That's pretty phenomenal, thanks for having us back! We promise Friday night will be the one!"
Meanwhile, further names have been confirmed with Blossoms, The Script, James Bay and Van Morrison all part of the first announcement.
Isle of Wight Festival promoter John Giddings described the milestone as a "special year" for the event, which he revived in 2002 more than 30 years after the Isle of Wight County Council Act 1971 prevented 'overnight open-air gatherings of more than 5,000 people' without a special licence from the council.
He said: "This year's line-up brings together the best bands of the moment.
"This is a special year as it celebrates 50 years since the festival's first incarnation so it's fantastic to celebrate with returning artists and those appearing for the first time."