Public memorial planned for Sir Bruce Forsyth

  • Bang Showbiz
  • 20 August 2017
Sir Bruce Forsyth

Sir Bruce Forsyth

Sir Bruce Forsyth is set to be honoured with a public memorial service at Westminster Abbey

Sir Bruce Forsyth will be remembered with a public memorial service at Westminster Abbey.

The 89-year-old TV legend passed away on Friday (18.08.17) with his wife Wilnelia and his six children by his side and plans are being put together to honour him with a public memorial, which the BBC would support.

A source told The Sun on Sunday: "Bruce's family are very much coming to terms with their loss, which is utterly devastating.

"It is too early to say for sure what will happen next. But the idea of the great and the good celebrating their friend's life alongside the ordinary fans who watched him for years is very much liked.

"Further conversations about it will be had in the coming weeks, when the family are ready. The decision, either way, will be theirs to make."

The former 'Strictly Come Dancing' host is survived by his wife Lady Wilnelia Forsyth and his six children - daughters Debbie, Julie and Laura from his first marriage with Penny Calvert, Charlotte and Louisa with his second spouse Anthea Redfern and a son with Wilnelia - as well as nine grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

The television icon had been unwell for some time and was hospitalised earlier this year with a severe chest infection but his manager Ian Wilson said Bruce was still cracking jokes even in his ill health.

In a statement, Ian said: "It is with great sadness that the Forsyth family announce that Sir Bruce passed away this afternoon, peacefully at his home surrounded by his wife Wilnelia and all his children.

"A couple of weeks ago, a friend visited him and asked him what he had been doing these last 18 months.

"With a twinkle in his eye, he responded 'I've been very, very busy ... being ill!'"

Comments