Mel Giedroyc thinks GBBO will be 'better' on C4
- Bang Showbiz
- 5 May 2017
Mel Giedroyc is worried that the 'Great British Bake Off' will be more successful now it's moved to Channel 4
Mel Giedroyc thinks the 'Great British Bake Off' will be "better" now it's moved channels.
The 48-year-old presenter hosted the popular BBC baking show for seven years alongside her friend Sue Perkins and, although she was "sad" to turn her back on it once it was bought by Channel 4 at the end of last year, she is convinced it'll be different now that Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding have been brought in as her replacement.
Speaking to BANG Showbiz at Magic Radio's Magic at the Musicals event in London on Thursday (04.05.17) night, she said: "People have been very very lovely and very kind. You know it's a sad thing but we had seven incredible years and seven years is a long time in showbiz that's about one hundred and fifty two years.
"Sue and I were given an amazing gift and we loved it and hopefully we've passed it on in a good way. We were in touch with Noel [when he was approached for the job]. I passed him the seeded baton. It will be different and better. But if it's better I'll be livid."
Noel and Sandi will be joined on the new series by judges Paul Hollywood - who moved across to Channel 4 with the show after he was offered a mega-money deal - and Prue Leith when it returns to screens later this year.
Not much is known about the new series but bosses have confirmed the episodes will run for 75 minutes - instead of an hour - due to the ad breaks that take place on Channel 4.
A spokesperson for the show said: "We have always promised viewers that they would not be short-changed on the show, even though we are an ad-funded channel. The programme will run for 75 minutes to allow that."
Not only have producers made a conscious effort to keep the running time the same as the BBC but they've also decided to keep some of the show's main format elements.
Sources have claimed the theme tune, as well as the filming location of Welford Park in Berkshire, will remain the same so as to keep loyal 'GBBO' fans from switching off.
An insider said previously "While Channel 4 are keen to put their own stamp on the show, they are not trying to reinvent the wheel.
"They want to attract new legions of Bake Off fans, but also don't want to dishearten those loyal viewers who have been watching it for years and are planning to keep doing so despite the change in channel.
"Viewers will get the familiar tent set-up, in the beautiful grounds of Welford Park, and the same theme tune they've been hearing since it was first launched in 2010."