Arnold Schwarzenegger: Terminator not over
- Bang Showbiz
- 4 April 2017
Arnold Schwarzenegger has dismissed speculation that the 'Terminator' franchise has been cancelled, as he says the movies will "never be finished"
Arnold Schwarzenegger says 'Terminator' will "never be finished".
The 69-year-old actor is known for appearing in the sci-fi movies as the titular cybernetic organism, and has said he has "no idea why" there was recently speculation that he had walked away from the franchise, and says that whilst Paramount did cancel plans for the sequel to 2015's 'Terminator: Genisys', another studio will pick it up.
He told Fandango.com in an interview on Monday (03.04.17): "I don't want to call it, like, fake news, like the president calls it, but I think people just write things - I have no idea why. Just because Paramount doesn't want to pick up the Terminator franchise, you have 15 other studios willing to do it - that doesn't mean the Terminator franchise is finished, right? It just means they are on their way to negotiate with another studio, but I can't give you the details of that. They'll announce that. But, yes, the Terminator franchise is never finished. And remember that after 2018, James Cameron is getting it back, and then it will continue on!"
Meanwhile, producer David Ellison, of production company Skydance, recently insisted the long-term future of the iconic sci-fi series has been secured.
He said: "I will say we have resolved the future of the franchise and believe me it's an incredibly bright future.
"I think where it's going will be the continuation of what the fans really wanted since 'T2'."
David also suggested an official announcement will be made in the near future.
He added: "We have something this year that we will be announcing for the franchise. It's something we're incredibly excited about and we think is the direction it needs to head."
The news comes after it was reported last month that Paramount had chosen not to move forward with plans for a new instalment of the franchise.
A source said at the time: "It is over for 'The Terminator' and Arnold.
"The studio has taken the sequel off the production slate completely, meaning there is no pre-production or any plans for another sequel. The talent had been offered long term deals, but this is not happening."