Piers Morgan wants to 'save' Nightly Show
- Bang Showbiz
- 19 March 2017
Piers Morgan thinks he would be "brilliant" on ITV's widely-panned weeknight programme 'The Nightly Show'
Piers Morgan thinks he would be "brilliant" on 'The Nightly Show'.
The 51-year-old presenter insists criticism of ITV's new weeknight programme - which has so far seen David Walliams, John BIshop and Davina McCall take on hosting duties - should be ignored for now as new show "take time" to be welcomed by audiences.
However, the 'Good Morning Britain' host - who previously had a nightly talk show on US network CNN - thinks the programme is trying to hard to mimic the efforts of American programmes fronted by the likes of James Corden, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Fallon, and believes bosses should let him take the reins for a week as he'd be "brilliant".
He told the Daily Star Sunday newspaper: "I think we have to give it a few weeks. All new shows take time to bed down. I have watched a few of them and some seem to work better than others.
"I want to see who works. But I'd be brilliant.
"It is getting a bit of a bashing. They're trying to be a bit American for me."
But if Piers does get the guest hosting job, he would need a break from 'GMB' and it seems that's something he would welcome.
He added: "I would not mind a lie-in. And I can't do morning and night."
Despite criticism of the show, which is occupying ITV's traditional nightly news slot, ITV bosses insist they are keeping faith with the programme.
A spokesperson said: "We are not axing 'The Nightly Show', nor are we moving it."
Dermot O'Leary will take over as host in the coming week.
It was previously claimed Paul O'Grady and former 'Great British Bake Off' hosts have turned down approaches to host 'The Nightly Show'.