Sharon Stone still sorry
- Bang Showbiz
- 5 June 2008
Sharon Stone has apologised again for her controversial comments about the Chinese earthquake.
The 'Basic Instinct' star - who suggested the devastating natural disaster in the Sichuan province on May 12 was "karma" for the Chinese government's treatment of Tibet - issued another apology on Wednesday (04.06.08) following her original statement of regret last week.
In her latest backtrack, she said: "There have been numerous reports about what I said in Cannes. I would like to set the record straight about what I feel in my heart and end all of the misunderstandings.
"Yes, I misspoke. I could not be more regretful of that mistake. It was unintentional. I apologise, those words were never meant to be hurtful to anyone. I am deeply saddened by the pain that this whole situation has caused the victims of the devastating earthquake in China."
Stone's original comments sparked mass outrage and were condemned by many commentators.
French fashion house Christian Dior was so appalled by what she said they dropped her from all their advertising campaigns in China.
Speaking about the earthquake, Stone, 50, initially said: "I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans because I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else. And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, 'Is that karma? When you're not nice then the bad things happen to you?' "
China has occupied Tibet since its invasion in 1950, claiming the neighbouring nation is rightfully part of China. Since the occupation began, people have campaigned to liberate Tibet and to end the human rights violations.
© BANG Media International