Bill Oddie almost killed himself shooting The Real Hotel of Marigold
- Bang Showbiz
- 14 February 2017
Bill Oddie has revealed he accidentally drank poison while shooting 'The Real Hotel of Marigold' in India
Bill Oddie almost killed himself on the set of 'The Real Hotel of Marigold'.
The 75-year-old comedian feared for his life after he accidentally drank poison in the Indian coastal city of Kochi, where the show is set, after a waiter brought him a glass of turpentine to clean his paint brushes and he mistakenly thought it was drinking water.
He said: "I nearly killed myself after that painting thing. At the beginning of the evening one of the guys knocked on the door and put what I thought was a glass of water by my bed but it was turps and I was drinking it. It could have killed me."
However, the TV bird watcher realised his error before it was too late and, despite feeling unwell, made a recovery in time to shoot the rest of the series, which is loosely based on the hit film 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', much to the producers relief.
A source told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "It was pretty horrifying that he thought the turps was water but thankfully Bill realised in time."
The show will return to screens tomorrow (15.02.17) as a new celebrity cast - Amanda Barrie, former snooker player Dennis Taylor and Paul Nicholas - head to Kerala.
And one person who Bill - who lives in north London with his wife of 34 years Lauren - developed a strong friendship with while working on the show in India was Dr Miriam Stoppard, 79, because they bonded over their lack of confidence.
Miriam said: "We became immediate friends. Bill and I were the two sceptics in the group so they'd be talking about refreshing the soul and all that kind of thing and our eyes would roll a bit because we come more of a scientific background."