Chris Evans' deathly Christmas
- Bang Showbiz
- 10 January 2017
Chris Evans has admitted he almost died over Christmas after he caught pneumonia while holidaying in Barbados
Chris Evans almost died last month after he was struck down with pneumonia.
The radio DJ saw his life flash before his eyes over the festive season after his temperature rocketed to 106 degrees - one notch below being life threatening - after he caught the inflammatory condition while holidaying in Barbados with his family.
He explained: "It started over Christmas. [I was] felled like a sack of spuds on Christmas Eve and still sort of have it. I peaked at a temperature of 106 on holiday. Nearly pegged it to be honest, nearly pegged it.
"At one point I thought, 'Do you know what? I've got a lovely life and love my family to death but do you know... I feel so ill at the moment.' It was nearly curtains for me."
However, the 50-year-old star believes he owes his life to the Bajan doctor who treated him because he immediately managed to get the infection under control after he gave him an injection in his bottom and three oral medicines to take for the next few days.
Speaking to the Daily Mail newspaper, he said: "A very nice Bajan doctor diagnosed me with an upper airways infection; actually three - one for the ears, one for the nose and one for the throat. He was quite amazed when the thermometer showed that lava-like temperature reading of 106 degrees. Immediately he gave me a shot of something rather lively in my gluteus maximus plus three oral medicines that I had to take at various intervals in the day, whilst avoiding grapefruit. Go figure."
Chris has certainly had a tough year as he was forced to quit his presenting gig on 'Top Gear' in March following just six shows after the ratings took a dramatic nose dive.
He had then agreed to star in the motoring show's festive special but bosses decided to pull the plug on the idea after they realised there weren't enough highlights.