Nadiya Hussain thinks Great British Bake Off will fall apart without Mel and Sue

Nadiya Hussain is convinced the 'Great British Bake Off' will flop now that hilarious hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins have quit

comments
Nadiya Hussain

Nadiya Hussain

'Great British Bake Off' winner Nadiya Hussain thinks the show will fall apart without Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc.

The hosts decided to quit the programme after Channel 4 snatched the rights to the series from BBC earlier this month and, although many people are convinced judge Mary Berry's departure will wreak havoc for producers, the 31-year-old star believes bosses should be more concerned about the presenters abrupt exit because they make the show the success it is.

Speaking on 'BBC Breakfast' on Wednesday (28.09.16), she said: "Paul [Hollywood] and Mary [Berry], they're the judges so you don't really see them that much.

"You don't get that interaction with them but Mel and Sue, they are so important to the show. Every time I was falling apart, they would come along and say 'oh, it's just cake.' "

However, although she's not sure the baking show will continue to be a success now that Mary, Mel and Sue have left, Nadiya thinks a change in broadcaster could be a good thing.

She explained: "I'm all about change, you know what, it's gone somewhere else and I don't think we like change as humans but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Hopefully it will work wherever it goes."

Mary, 81, announced she was bowing out as head judge last week out of "loyalty" to the BBC, whereas her co-star Paul Hollywood decided to follow the show across to Channel 4.

Bosses are now on a hunt to find a judge to take Mary's place and, although she's the hot favourite to take over, Nadiya - who won the series last year - isn't interested in filling her shoes.

She said: "I'm kind of enjoying what I'm doing, actually. I've written these [cook] books and I don't want that to be taken from me."

The future of the programme has been hanging in the balance since it was revealed Channel 4 had bought the rights to the 'GBBO' for an estimated £75 million earlier this month.

Channel 4 reportedly waded in with the three-year mega money deal after they found out negotiations between the BBC and Love Productions - the makers of the programme - had broken down.

Comments

Post a comment