Victoria to return for second series
- Bang Showbiz
- 23 September 2016
'Victoria' has been commissioned for a second series after it gained half a million more viewers than Poldark
'Victoria' has been commissioned for a second series.
The ITV period drama proved such a huge hit with viewers since it arrived on screens last month starring Jenna Coleman and Ted Huges that it's been given the go-ahead to return for another series.
ITV bosses are said to have secured more episodes, which is partly down to its lead over rival 'Poldark'.
They are also hoping the show will emulate the success of international success 'Downtown Abbey'.
A source told The Sun newspaper: "It is going to come back. They recommissioned it a while ago. It has increased its ratings lead over 'Poldark' every week and it is a genuine hit. They're hoping it will be very popular in the US who love the 'Royal Family' and lapped up 'Downton Abbey'."
The decision to recommission the programme comes after it won a massive 500,000 more viewers on Sunday (18.09.16) over 'Poldark' which airs at the same time on BBC One.
With ITV having wrapped their last period hit 'Downton Abbey' last year, bosses are reportedly looking to start exporting 'Victoria' worldwide as a replacement for the beloved drama.
The news of a second series for the royal drama comes after it was recently teased that there would be some "steamy scenes" coming up, following the reports of a relationship between main stars Tom, 30, and the former 'Doctor Who' star.
Writer Daisy Goodman said: "Well it depends what you mean by steamy, we've got a sauna scene, haven't we?"
In the same interview, Daisy described characters Victoria and Albert as "a very sexy couple" and even teased she was "quietly confident" about a second series for the show.