Ed Balls signs up for Strictly Come Dancing
Ed Balls is the first contestant to sign up for the new series of 'Strictly Come Dancing'.
Ed Balls has signed up for 'Strictly Come Dancing'.
The former MP is the first celebrity contestant to be confirmed for the upcoming series of the BBC One show and admitted he is "scared to death".
Speaking on 'The Chris Evans Breakfast Show' on BBC Radio 2, he said: "I'd like to say I'm just really excited about learning to dance on TV, but the truth is I'm also scared to death. Making a speech in Parliament seems a piece of cake compared to this, but hopefully I can stick around for a couple of weeks, and have a lot of fun in the process. 'Strictly' is a firm favourite in our living room, and it feels like a dream to be going on myself, especially for Len Goodman's last series. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn into a nightmare too quickly!"
Ed, 49, served as the UK Shadow Chancellor from 2011 to 2015 and was Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families from 2007 to 2010.
Since retiring from parliament, he has appeared on 'The Great Sport Relief Bake Off'.
The BBC Press Office shared a picture of Ed on Twitter on Monday (08.08.16) and wrote: "CONFIRMED: @edballs is first celebrity contestant for #Strictly 2016 (sic)."
Meanwhile, head judge Len, 72, announced last month he is leaving 'Strictly' after the upcoming series and said he was keen for Anton Du Beke to take over from him.
He explained: "It would be nice if Anton took over - someone from the world of ballroom rather than stage or theatre dancing."