Doctor Who to cast disabled actor in major new role

Peter Capaldi Pearl Mackie

Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie

Producers are determined to cast a disabled actor in 'Doctor Who' to "reflect the world we live in."

'Doctor Who' producers are set to cast a disabled actor.

In an attempt by BBC bosses to "reflect the world we live in", the show's casting director is making a concerted effort to nab an actor with an impairment to play a major role in the forthcoming series of the popular sci-fi series.

Speaking to the Daily Star newspaper, the show's casting director Andy Pryor said: "The area where I haven't pushed hard enough is disability.

"That's something I want to address in the 2017 series."

And he isn't the only one who wants to have a disabled character in the show as the head writer Steven Moffat, who will step down as producer next year, is also on board.

He said: "He's very much on board with that."

Andy's new plan comes just a few weeks after it was revealed that only black actresses were auditioned for the Doctor's (Peter Capaldi) new companion Bill (Pearl Mackie).

He said: "I wholeheartedly approved of the decision to only audition non-white actresses. You don't do it for the sake of it. You do it because it's the right thing to do. Most actors in this country are white. Unless you are conscious about not always going in that direction you're going to end up with the same cast all the time. And that's not OK.

"I always want to cast the best actors but I want the show to be interesting, to be attractive to a diverse audience and to reflect the world we live in."

Comments

1. Cher Marino1 Aug 2016, 6:07pm Report

I know of a wonderful actor that is such an inspiration to everyone his name is Kurt Yeager. You can find him on Facebook and Twitter he has had alot of experience in this area we (his fans) would love to see this happen ..thank you for your consideration in advance

2. Debbie Ashworth1 Aug 2016, 6:31pm Report

There can only be one and that has to be Kurt Yeager he could be part human part cyborge but in any part he would be amazing

3. Ron Thompson2 Aug 2016, 12:39am Report

Katherine Kampko is an excellent and unique actress . She was a re-accurring role on the TV show Graceland , last season , and was quite compelling . She's an attractive woman , an athelete and an amputee . Check her out !

4. Dr. Walrus2 Aug 2016, 6:27pm Report

Wow. So this is what Maury Povich is up to!

5. Pacitti Club Johnny2 Aug 2016, 7:41pm Report

good on them......but not even a stunning cast and save a bad script.

6. Elaine Mitchell2 Aug 2016, 11:32pm Report

Considering actors with disabilities for new Dr Who role. Look no further Kurt Yaeger with roles on Sons of Anarchy, NCIS, Quarry, NCISLA to mention but a few. Great experience also an advocate for actors with disabilities. Certainly an asset for the Dr Who team. You can find him on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

7. Paul Roughton3 Aug 2016, 11:17am Report

How about a black, disabled, lesbian?

Tick all the boxes?

Funny how diversity is all about black and white

How short sighted our society has become due to colour

8. Michael Timms3 Aug 2016, 3:31pm Report

If the story calls for someone with a disability, fine. But "pushing to hire a disabled actor 'to reflect the world we live in'", is more ridiculous PC bullcrap. As is interviewing actors of color "because it's the right thing to do". You don't discount an actor because of race, gender, or physical ability, you also should not hire them just BECAUSE they are a specific race, gender, or physical ability. Unless the already written story you are trying to portray on screen actually calls for that. We need to stop being so PC and just hire people based on their ability to perform.

9. Harold Saxon3 Aug 2016, 4:58pm Report

Michael Timms is spot on.Only auditioning black actresses for the part of the Doctor's new companion? Imagine the fuss if it was the other way round? Picking someone because of their skin colour is racist whichever way you look at it. 'No white actresses allowed'? PC? It's like Apartheid in reverse.

'Reflect the world we live in'? A 1000 year old alien who can change his appearance, travels through time and space in a telephone box and battles giant killer pepperpots? That really does reflect the world we live in, eh?

Dr. Who should be what is always was: a science fiction classic and wonderful escapism. Now it's just a vehicle for Political Correctness.

10. Jenny Maher3 Aug 2016, 5:43pm Report

How about Adam Pearce? :)

11. Paul Roughton3 Aug 2016, 10:12pm Report

@9 Harold Saxon

"Now it's just a vehicle for Political Correctness."

Unfortunately you are so right, I've been a fan since I was 6 and I'm almost 35 now.

When doctor who came back I was ecstatic as I'm sure all fans were.

But now I'm finding it harder to watch as each season comes, the gun had been somewhat ducked out of this wonderful program with "political correctness".

How can discrimination positively be seen as a good thing? Effectively your saying "we do want the best actor, just a black one".

Leave doctor who alone, stay out of the murky waters of political, gender, racial correctness.

Everyone that is eligible should be auditioned for any program not just one race or gender

That is so incorrect

12. Janice Smith Purvis4 Aug 2016, 6:22am Report

I'm a female paraplegic, if interested

13. dAnne Corrigan5 Aug 2016, 11:08am Report

I sing in a rock band for people with learning disability called I Love Thunder and I am partially sighted

14. T Ellis2 Sep 2016, 6:23pm Report

I see ppl saying things like the above Basically to cut it down, your saying Why can't the Actor, Actress be Chosen on Merit. In other words, An able bodied person playing the role of someone Paralysed or using a chair. . Well, I for one am More than happy to see you actually asking for a Person tht can fit the role your asking for. . We hardly ever get Asked to go for something that able bodied ppl do. The soaps try to cover the Wheelchair Spectrum but 9 out of 10 times, the Actor always gets back on there feet. If only hey. .. Well, I am 15yrs a Tetra and you have my email address ... Have a great Day