Bang the drum
- Henry Northmore
- 10 June 2016
Orde Meikle picks the highlights of T in the Park's legendary Slam Tent
The Slam Tent at T in the Park is probably the best dance tent at any major festival. Each year’s line-up, lovingly crafted by Slam (aka Stuart McMillan and Orde Meikle), offers a haven for house heads and techno addicts. This year's bill boasts Len Faki, Richie Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos and many more. Meikle talks us through his top five personal highlights from the 2016 vintage:
● Local boy Jasper James is playing Thursday. He's the son of our very good friend Harri, who we used to DJ with at the Sub Club. He has an element of his father's taste but he's taken it one step further.
● DVS1 plays Friday. A good friend of ours from Minneapolis. He plays things that you think 'I couldn't get away with that!’, either by speeding them up, slowing them down or mixing them with two or three other records. It’s not straight-up techno, it's quite stripped, quite minimal.
● On the Saturday there’s Daniel Avery, an up-and-coming producer from London that we're hoping to collaborate with. Very musical, sequence-driven stuff. He’s someone I’ve actually not seen DJ before, so I want to be around to watch his set.
● Marcel Dettmann on the Sunday. One of the nicest guys you could ever meet. As far we’re concerned this man can do no wrong. He has a sound all to himself with a real vision; he kind of melts music together.
● I have to say Jeff Mills who closes the Sunday night. He’s someone who has influenced us from the very start of our career. He was called The Wizard. One of the first times he came to the UK was when we booked him at the Arches and seeing him perform for the first time made all the stories and folklore make sense.