5 Things you might not know about - Ken Dodd
- Brian Donaldson
- 10 April 2008
- Somewhat eccentric from his early years, he often walked backwards all the way from school to his home simply to prove that it could be done.
- When he tried this feat of nonsense while on his bicycle, it proved to be less successful. Legend has it that such a bike accident led to his famous protruding teeth, which he later insured for £10,000.
- Dodd was the victim of a stalker who posted him a series of indecent photos and a dead rat before setting fire to his Knotty Ash home in 2001.
- Despite being an octogenarian, Ken Dodd can perform for anything up to five hours.
- At the start of the year, Dodd underwent a successful hernia operation, joking his way back to fitness: ‘The surgeon found my chuckle muscle and said it’s in very good condition.’
Pavilion Theatre, Glasgow, Sun 12 Apr.