Benicio del Toro to play villain in Star Wars: Episode VIII
- Bang Showbiz
- 21 July 2015
Benicio del Toro is reportedly being lined up to play the main villain in 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'
Benicio del Toro is in talks to play the main villain in 'Star Wars: Episode VIII'.
The 'Guardians of the Galaxy' actor is being lined up to play a baddie in the sci-fi sequel, insiders have told TheWrap.
Although discussions are still in the early stages, both Disney and Lucasfilm are said to be keen to sign the 48-year-old star up for the film, which is to be directed by Rian Johnson.
del Toro is believed to be a good fit for the role because of his ability to "conjure menace on a whim" and would continue 'Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens' director J. J. Abrams' diverse vision for the franchise that is being led by John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Oscar Isaac.
'Star Wars: Episode VIII' is scheduled to being shooting early next year while it is slated for release on May 26, 2017, following the release of 'Episode VII' this December.
del Toro - who has previously revealed he may not return for the 'Guardians' sequel - will next be seen starring alongside Emily Blunt in the crime drama 'Sicario' and is also set to appear alongside Idris Elba in Harmony Korine's 'The Trap'.