- Claire Sawers
- 29 May 2015
Folk-rock band from Tiree prepare for their tenth birthday celebrations in Oban
Formed on the Scottish island of Tiree in 2005 by brothers Daniel and Martin Gillespie, the folk-rock band Skerryvore mix in rock and pop influences to their sometimes rowdy, sometimes raw and acoustic take on traditional Scottish music.
Having performed in over 25 countries over the last ten years, and also working widely with the music charity Live Music Now Scotland, 2015 is set to be a big one for the band (which now has seven members and is about to put out album five) with a tenth anniversary concert followed by touring festivals around Europe.
The List caught up with accordionist Daniel to hear their big birthday plans, and also find out why the band has spent so much time in prison…
Five words to describe the music of Skerryvore
Folk, celtic, contemporary, world, fusion.
Four reasons to go to your 10-year anniversary concert?
1. Some of the best international trad / world musicians will be playing, including Dougie MacLean, Sharon Shannon and Red Hot Chilli Pipers (and obviously Skerryvore!)
2. Because it’s happening in the stunning west coast town of Oban.
3. To join in a party with people from all over the world including the USA, Germany, Denmark and Holland.
4. To sample the Jagermeister cocktails in the VIP bar!
Three things we might be surprised to know about the band
1. We have been in prisons in Northern Ireland, England & Germany … performing music concerts and holding workshops as part of our ongoing work with Live Music Now (LMN).
2. Our song ‘Simple Life’ was covered by award-winning Irish artist Nathan Carter
3. The British astronaut Tim Peake took his Skerryvore album with him to space.
Two favourite Tiree memories
1. Our very first album launch in the Tiree Lodge Hotel. It was so busy we had to climb in the window of the bar to get to the stage.
2. Our closing performance at Tiree Music Festival 2013 [Daniel set up TMF with a friend back in 2010] – it was one of the most memorable gigs in our 10-year history.
One thing that's still on the band's To Do list
To perform and tour in Australia.
Skerryvore play 10th anniversary show Decade, Mossfield Stadium, Oban, Sat 30 May. DECADE is out Mon 1 Jun on Tyree Records.