Paul McCartney's fish decision

Paul McCartney's fish decision

Sir Paul McCartney decided to become a vegetarian after realising he was a murderer on a fishing trip.

The Beatles legend reveals why he gave up meat on a new poster for animal rights group PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment for Animals), which is emblazoned with the words 'I Am Paul McCartney, And I Am A Vegetarian'.

The advertisement features the singer sitting on a stool wearing a trilby and pointing to the slogan on his T-shirt which reads 'Eat No' over a picture of a cow.

A statement in the right corner of the poster reads: "Many years ago, I was fishing, and as I was reeling in the poor fish, I realised, 'I am killing him - all for the passing pleasure it brings me.'

"Something inside me clicked. I realised, as I watched him fight for breath, that his life was as important to him as mine is to me."

Paul, 65, is the latest in a long line of celebrities to pose for PETA.

Alicia Silverstone, Casey Affleck, Forest Whitaker and Joss Stone have all previously fronted campaigns for the organisation.

Paul's late wife Linda McCartney was a strong advocate for animal rights and even launched her own range of vegetarian meals.

The couple's fashion designer daughter Stella is also a strict vegetarian and refuses to use any animal products, such as fur or leather, in her clothing lines.

© BANG Media International

Paul McCartney

Ex-Beatle, Ex-Wings, classical composer, poet, artist, animal rights activist, writer of silly love songs – Paul McCartney'll be a name familiar to your brain. Settle back for an evening of classic hits and a few more recent ones thrown in for good measure. It's cool – he'll probably play 'Hey Jude'. Get practicing your…

Comments

1. Crowley12 Mar 2008, 4:35pm Report

I'm not a christian, but doesn't fish as food get mentioned in the Bible?

Humans have teeth which are designed to tear meat. Vegetarianism is a choice, though not so arguably an unnatural one. If you choose not to eat meat, then that's fine for you. I respect that. This is a cause you believe in? In many countries, you have the right to speak about it publicly. Go for it; express yourself. Just don't look down upon me or think unkindly of me if I choose not to take up your vegetarian cause. I agree that animals should be treated humanely, but I disagree that people should not eat meat. Our bodies are designed to be omnivorous.

2. veggggie13 Mar 2008, 4:29pm Report

actually our bodies arn't made to eat meat. vegetarians live on average 10 years longer then meateaters. meateaters are almost always more obese then vegetarians.
so go ahead and eat meat. but get your facts right.
do you think jesus would be okay with factory farms?

3. Vile13 Mar 2008, 4:36pm Report

crowley, why mention religion? that's just pitiful

veggggie, please don't present such drivel as if it is accepted scientific fact

4. Crowley13 Mar 2008, 9:28pm Report

I mentioned it because it's relevant to many people, though not to me. And just because veggggie has stats that show that vegetarians live longer supposedly because they don't eat meat doesn't mean that our bodies weren't designed for it; it simply means that people supposedly live longer because they didn't eat meat.

Humankind has bastardized the meat-eating aspect of our lives with capitalism. Would Jesus be against capitalism/the poor treatment of animals/mass consumption of meat? I don't know/absolutely not/and supposedly Jesus told the fisherman to fish on the opposite side of the boat on which they were fishing and snagged a whole bunch of fish because of it. So while Jesus might not be ok with factory farms, he clearly didn't have a problem with feeding people with animal flesh.

Form some logic before you write.

5. B-Boy19 Mar 2008, 10:22am Report

Sorry - still don't understand what on earth religion has to do with this article on vegetarianism Crowley... Or with a name like that are you just a devotee of the man himself trying to sow discord amongst the masses ;o)

6. Crowley31 Mar 2008, 4:44am Report

Forget it. You people.... unbelievable.