5 Things you might not know about - French & Saunders
- Brian Donaldson
- 13 March 2008
- When Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders first met in 1977 at London’s Central School of Speech and Drama, they didn’t exactly hit it off. Saunders believed French was a ‘cocky upstart’ while Dawn thought Jen was ‘snooty and aloof’.
- French is credited with being the first person to say the word ‘blowjob’ on television. She caused a scandal after her remark on, somewhat unsurprisingly, The Tube, back in 1984.
- Saunders collapses into a fit of hysterics every single time French does her Mick Jagger impersonation.
- Last year French decided to move to Cornwall with her family to get her memoirs written as she believes that she has only a few years left on this earth.
- Saunders and hubbie, Adrian Edmondson, have been so determined to shelter their three children from the showbusiness life that at the age of nine, daughter Beatrice asked: ‘Mummy, are you Jennifer Saunders?’
Playhouse, Edinburgh, Fri 14 & Sat 15 Mar; SECC, Glasgow, Tue 18 & Wed 19 Mar