Dermot O'Leary won't return to The X Factor
- Bang Showbiz
- 27 March 2015
Dermot O'Leary has announced he will not be returning to present 'The X Factor' later this year as it's time to "move on" after eight years on the show
Dermot O'Leary will not return to present 'The X Factor' next year.
The 41-year-old star took to his Twitter account this afternoon (27.03.15) to reveal he will no longer act as host on the ITV singing competition after nearly a decade on the show.
He wrote: "Good afternoon. After eight wonderful years on @TheXFactor it's time for me to move on.
"I'd like to thank ITV, Simon, The X Factor family and particularly the viewers, all of whom have been a big part of my life for so long.
"I'd like to wish the team all the best for the future, especially whoever takes over from me.
"You're about to be the conductor on the most brilliant, runaway train in showbiz. Good luck you'll love it."
The former 'Big Brother's Little Brother' presenter revealed earlier this year that he suspected he was going to be axed as he hadn't yet been offered a new contract by judge and show boss Simon Cowell.
Dermot said previously: "We normally sit down February/March but Simon wants to change stuff. So I need to see what changes he is going to make before a) I know if he wants me and b) whether I'm suitable for those changes."
He added: ""If he [Simon] turns around and says, 'Half your gig is a voiceover', then I will have to think about it. If he lets me do my thing then of course I would do it."
Producers of the show are currently revamping the format after it was revealed 'The X Factor' has lost its Saturday night slot to the upcoming Rugby World Cup.
A source shared: "It will give producers more freedom to play around with the format in the early stages and freshen up the show a bit as the Saturdays have become predictable."
Meanwhile, executive producer Richard Holloway claimed Simon's fellow judges Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Louis Walsh and Mel B could also be facing the axe.
He said earlier this week: "There will be some exciting changes. The name of the show will stay the same but we are looking at the format and the judges. There will be some surprises this year. But I can't go into detail ... It's safe to say Simon is staying."