Pharrell Williams wakes Brits
Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' is the top song for Brits to listen to when they wake up, while other respondents in MasterCard's survey said they like to listen to Taylor Swift at work and Survivor in the gym.
Pharrell Williams helps British people get out of bed in the morning.
The 41-year-old singer's track 'Happy' has been voted the top tune to start the day, closely followed by Bill Withers' 'Lovely Day' and 'Beautiful Day' by U2, while The Eagles' 'Hotel California' was found to be the best song to relax and unwind to, followed by Adele's 'Chasing Pavements' and Sam Smith's 'Stay With Me'.
The ultimate British playlist survey - which was carried out to celebrate MasterCard's 2015 BRIT Awards sponsorship - also looked at what music fans listen to on the way to and from work, when working out, getting ready for a night out, going through a break up and when they are in the mood for romance.
Shaun Springer, Head of Brand and Sponsorship, for MasterCard UK & Ireland said: "Everyone's playlist is different but it's fascinating to know the most common songs which we choose to listen to depending on our moods and motivations throughout the day. With us Brits on average listening to a full day of music each week, we are clearly a nation with eclectic tastes and a passion for music. At MasterCard we want to help our customers access the things they love, so we are hugely proud of being able to support The BRIT Awards for the 17th year."
The survey of 2000 people found the average Brit listens to around three hours and 23 minutes of music daily, or seven weeks a year, with over half claiming to need music to get through the working day - with 10 per cent of 18-24 year olds doing so to block out the sound of colleagues.
Great British playlist survey results:
Top 10 songs to listen to when you wake up:
1. Pharrell Williams - 'Happy'
2. Bill Withers - 'Lovely Day'
3. U2 - 'Beautiful Day'
4. Katrina and the Waves - 'Walking On Sunshine'
5. Ed Sheeran - 'Sing'
6. Wham! - 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go'
7. Avicii - 'Wake Me Up'
8. The Killers - 'Mr Brightside'
9. Cat Stevens - 'Morning Has Broken'
10. Katy Perry - 'Roar'
Top 10 songs to listen to on the commute into work:
1. The Beatles - 'Hey Jude'
2. Dolly Parton - '9-5'
3. AC/DC - 'Highway to Hell'
4. Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars - 'Uptown Funk'
5. The Bangles - 'Manic Monday'
6. The Jam - 'Going Underground'
7. Take That - 'Shine'
8. Michael Jackson - 'Man in the Mirror'
9. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell - 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'
10. The Rolling Stones - 'Start Me Up'
Top 10 songs to listen to while working:
1. Taylor Swift - 'Shake It Off'
2. Coldplay - 'Viva La Vida'
3. Michael Jackson - 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough'
4. Aretha Franklin - 'Respect'
5. Lady Gaga - 'Poker Face'
6. The Killers - 'Human'
7. AC/DC - 'Thunderstruck'
8. No Doubt - 'Don't Speak'
9. The White Stripes - 'Seven Nation Army'
10. George Ezra - 'Blame it on Me'
Top 10 songs to listen to on the way home from work:
1. Queen - 'Don't Stop Me Now'
2. Fleetwood Mac - 'Go Your Own Way'
3. Snow Patrol - 'Chasing Cars'
4. Black Eyed Peas - 'Let's Get It Started'
5. Coldplay - 'Paradise'
6. Lily Allen - 'Smile'
7. Prince - 'Purple Rain'
8. Tracey Chapman - 'Fast Car'
9. Calvin Harris - 'Ready for the Weekend'
10. George Ezra - 'Budapest'
Top 10 songs to listen to at the gym:
1. Survivor - 'Eye of the Tiger'
2. Queen - 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
3. Beyoncé - 'Crazy in Love'
4. Fatboy Slim - 'Right Here, Right Now'
5. AC/DC - 'Back in Black'
6. Daft Punk - 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger'
7. Florence and the Machine - 'You've Got the Love'
8. Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj - 'Bang Bang'
9. Eric Prydz - 'Call on Me'
10. Bruno Mars - 'Locked Out of Heaven'
Top 10 songs to listen to when relaxing:
1. The Eagles - 'Hotel California'
2. Adele - 'Chasing Pavements'
3. Sam Smith - 'Stay With Me'
4. Dido - 'White Flag'
5. Oasis - 'Wonderwall'
6. John Legend - 'All of Me'
7. Beethoven - 'Symphony No. 9: ode to joy'
8. Norah Jones - 'Come Away With Me'
9. All Saints - 'Pure Shores'
10. Pink Floyd - 'Comfortably Numb'
Top 10 songs to listen to while getting ready for a night out:
1. Black Eyed Peas - 'I Gotta Feeling'
2. Queen - 'We Will Rock You'
3. Michael Jackson - 'Billie Jean'
4. Beyoncé - 'Single Ladies'
5. The B-52's - 'Love Shack'
6. Elvis Presley - 'A Little Less Conversation'
7. Whitney Houston - 'Dance with Somebody'
8. David Guetta - 'Titanium'
9. Journey - 'Don't Stop Believin'
10. Shania Twain - 'Man I Feel Like A Woman'
Top 10 songs to listen to when getting in the mood for romance:
1. Barry White - 'You're My First, My Last, My Everything'
2. James Blunt - 'You're Beautiful'
3. Marvin Gaye - 'Sexual Healing'
4. Marvin Gaye - 'Let's Get It On'
5. Lionel Richie - 'Say You, Say Me'
6. Etta James - 'I Just Want to Make Love To You'
7. Donna Summer - 'Love to Love You Baby'
8. Tom Jones - 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'
9. Daft Punk - 'Get Lucky'
10. Pharrell feat Snoop Dogg - 'Beautiful'
Top 10 songs to listen to while going through a break-up:
1. Adele - 'Someone Like You'
2. Elvis - 'You Were Always on my Mind'
3. U2 - 'With or Without You'
4. Bill Withers - 'Ain't No Sunshine (When's She's Gone)'
5. Sinead O'Connor - 'Nothing Compares 2U'
6. Marvin Gaye - 'Heard It Through the Grapevine'
7. Justin Timberlake - 'Cry Me A River'
8. Joy Division - 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
9. Toni Braxton - 'Unbreak My Heart'
10. Kelly Clarkson - 'Because of You'