Jeremy Clarkson to sign three-year Top Gear deal?
- Bang Showbiz
- 27 January 2015
Jeremy Clarkson is reportedly close to signing a three-year deal for 'Top Gear' after the BBC received a number of complaints about the controversial star last year
Jeremy Clarkson is close to signing a three-year deal for 'Top Gear'.
The 54-year-old presenter could be set to front the popular BBC Two show for another three years despite being involved in a number of controversial incidents over the past year.
A source shared: "All indications are the contract with BBC Worldwide will be renewed shortly and is likely to run for three years."
The outspoken journalist - who presents the motoring show alongside Richard Hammond and James May - reportedly receives a huge fee of £1 million as well as a further seven-figure sum from BBC Worldwide for the job.
And despite receiving a number of calls for Jeremy to be sacked, BBC director-general Lord Tony Hall appears to be in no rush to replace him.
He told Radio Times magazine: "It's a programme loads of people love and it's important the BBC doesn't have just one voice."
Meanwhile, the stars of the show have started a campaign to help musician Steve Harley pay off a speeding fine.
They have encouraged viewers to download his hit single 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' after he was caught travelling at 70 miles per hour in a 40mph zone and handed a £1,000 penalty.
Speaking on Sunday night's (25.01.15) 'Top Gear' Richard said: "Imagine if everybody did it - he would wake up tomorrow and think, 'I'm number one, where did that come from?' It would cheer him up."
The track - which Harley recorded with his band Cockney Rebel in 1975 - has since shot up the iTunes download chart.