Rian Johnson avoiding Star Wars 'responsibility'
- Bang Showbiz
- 19 September 2014
Filmmaker Rian Johnson is inspired by the original 'Star Wars' films but doesn't want to stick too closely to them in 'Episode VIII and IX'
Rian Johnson is trying not to feel too "responsible" for the 'Star Wars' franchise.
The 40-year-old filmmaker is directing 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' and expect to helm Episode 'IX' admits that, when it comes to the new movies, it is a "challenge" staying true to the original while also not getting too involved in the early films.
He said: "I'm figuring it out as I go. I'm dancing on top of the avalanche a little bit. But it's a challenge of remembering what inspires you about the original films, but I think you can probably go to the wrong place by feeling too responsible to it. You have to keep your head loose enough to tell a story you actually care about."
The director may have only just begun work on the project, but admits it is the "most fun" he has ever had on a film.
Speaking to Terry Gilliam on the TalkHouse Podcast, Johnson, he said: "I'm just starting into it, but so far it's the most fun I've ever had writing. It's just joyous.
"The first movies I was making in my head were part of this world, so part of it is a direct connection - it's almost like an automatic jacking-in into childhood in a weird way."
J.J. Abrams is currently shooting 'Episode VII', which will be out on December 18, 2015.
'Episode VIII' is expected to follow in 2017.