X Factor flash vote axed
- Bang Showbiz
- 21 July 2014
'The X Factor' bosses have axed the controversial flash vote gimmick introduced last year as it proved unpopular with viewers
'The X Factor' has axed the controversial flash vote gimmick.
Show bosses have ditched the unpopular feature, which was introduced last year, from the new series after receiving backlash from viewers.
The flash vote allowed viewers to vote to save their favourite acts during the Saturday live shows. Fans were given just 10 minutes to place their calls and host Dermot O'Leary would then announce the contestant with the lowest number of votes at the end of the show, with the unlucky wannabe going straight into the sing-off in the Sunday night results show.
A source told the Daily Star newspaper: "We are well aware viewers didn't want it so it's been dropped. But contestants shouldn't sit back and relax. The producers are busy lining up other shockers for them."
Among critics of the gimmick were actor-and-comedian James Corden, who said: "I love the show but I wish they would stop messing around with it."
'X Factor' bosses are hoping to restore the ITV singing competition to its former glory with the returns of show boss Simon Cowell and popular judge Cheryl Cole.
Louis Walsh and Spice Girls star Mel B round out this year's panel.
'The Xtra Factor' has also had a revamp with BBC Radio 1Xtra DJ Sarah-Jane Crawford replacing Caroline Flack.