Bruce Forsyth was a 'challenge' for Strictly director
'Strictly Come Dancing' director Nikki Parsons has claimed it was a "challenge" to work around Sir Bruce Forysth's refusal to wear an earpiece on live shows and his failing eyesight.
Sir Bruce Forsyth was a "challenge" to work with on 'Strictly Come Dancing', according to the show's director.
Nikki Parsons claims the veteran presenter refused to wear an earpiece - which is used to relay messages from the production team during live shows - and struggled to read the script from an autocue in his final years on the BBC One ballroom dancing competition.
Bruce, 86, announced his departure from the show in April after 10 years and will be replaced by Claudia Winkleman.
The director says the "autocue font has been getting bigger and bigger and getting closer and closer" due to the legendary star's failing eyesight.
Speaking at a BAFTA Craft Masterclass session on Monday (09.06.14), Nikki is quoted by MailOnline as saying: "He's brilliant Bruce, he's a legend ... it's just that he comes with various things he won't do which don't help in the live show.
"It would be great to be able to say in his ear that something's happened and give him directions, but it's just a bit like, 'OK, Bruce, off you go.' "
Nikki went on to praise Bruce for his ability to think quickly on his feet on live shows, however.
She added: "To be honest, he's such a people person that if anything does go wrong you're in safe hands, because he can make a drama and a comedy out of anything."
Bruce previously revealed he finally felt like it was time to retire from the 'Strictly' before he started feeling like rotten fruit.
He said: "I'm going to miss it like mad but there is always a time to go. You've got to make up your mind when is the right time to go, and I thought it was.
"The only thing I could think of is, I didn't want to be like a piece of old fruit where it gradually goes off."