Also Released - Music
• LCD Soundsystem 45:33 (DFA/EMI) James Murphy and Pat Mahoney Fabriclive: 36 (Fabric) A pair of LCD related mixtapes emerge within weeks of each other, the former an extended jam Murphy recorded for Nike which gets a physical release while the latter is 70 minutes of fascinating, if obscure disco nuggets and punk funk oddities.
• The Warlocks> Heavy Death Skull Lover (Tee Pee) Winsome pop in the style of Boyzone . . no, wait a minute, that’s not it. This is the insane satanic retro rock one isn’t it?
• Frightened Rabbit Sing the Greys (FatCat) An expanded version of this exceptional band’s debut filled with lurid vivid lyricism and nifty twisted folky arrangements.
• Various Jalapeno Funk Vol 1 (Jalapeno) Not the vegetable often found in Mexican food but a spicy compilation of beats, breaks and general funkoonery from this studious young English label.
• Wet Wet Wet Timeless Pellow and his compadres reform for their eighth studio album of River City soul.
• John Vanderslice Emerald City (Barsuk) Eminently likeable singer-songwriterly character studies from this immensely underrated musical talent who moonlights as techie journo.
• Graystar A Million Pieces (Graystar) A collection of fresh anthemic indie turns from this Liverpoool/ Edinburgh quintet.
• The Heavy Great Vengeance and Furious Fire (Ninja Tune) Big Led Zep riffs are to the fore for this interminably funky outfit’s debut.
• Buzzcocks Buzzcocks: 30 (Cooking Vinyl) The original punk popsters are wearing well as this invigorated live album attests.