Tess Daly worries Strictly is running out of celebs
Tess Daly fears 'Strictly Come Dancing' is running out of celebrities as it prepares to start its 11th series.
Tess Daly fears 'Strictly Come Dancing' is running out of celebrities.
The BBC ballroom dancing show's host worries there aren't enough people of the right celebrity calibre for the programme left now it is about to enter its 11th series.
She told the Radio Times magazine: "We never thought 'Strictly' would last this long and I don't want it to ever end, but the celebrity pool is getting smaller.
"We must have gone through 150 and we pride ourselves on a higher class of contestant. We have standards to maintain."
Bitchy show judge Craig Revel Horwood has previously said he thinks reality TV stars should be banned from the show.
He said: "Generally, the celebs we have on 'Strictly' are famous for doing something.
"These reality stars, as much as they're famous, they're not exactly actors and they're not exactly reality TV people."
Tess - who co-hosts the show with Sir Bruce Forsyth - also said some contestants are surprised by how serious and difficult the show is, as they wrongly think it is simply light entertainment.
She added: "News people are not sure what to do when they start because they think it's fluffy and light entertainment with sequins, body make-up and lycra, so different to anything they have ever experienced, but I've only come across those who have really enjoyed it.
"Sports stars are difficult as they're not used to talking about their feelings.
"[Cricket star] Mark Ramprakash could barely make eye contact, he was so crippled by nerves.
"It was wonderful when he found his dancing feet and grew to love it. Then we couldn't keep him quiet.
"It transforms people. It's a sexy show - the routines, costumes, a good-looking cast."
'Strictly' returns to BBC One on Saturday (07.09.13) and features contestants including Abbey Clancy, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Deborah Meaden and Vanessa Feltz.